Thursday, March 25, 2010

Expectations!

According to Wikipedia : "In the case of uncertaintyexpectation is what is considered the most likely to happen. An expectation, which is a belief that is centred on the future, may or may not be realistic. A less advantageous result gives rise to the emotion of disappointment. If something happens that is not at all expected it is a surprise. An expectation about the behavior or performance of another person, expressed to that person, may have the nature of a strong request, or an order."


What does Expectation mean to you? It can be the smallest thing, or something really huge. I learned something very early in life-do NOT expect anything from anyone. ANYONE. And I didn't. 


Over the years,there were people who became close to me, and expectations are normal in any relationship. Even with parents, not being able to do well in school/ college meant we didn't live upto their expectations. And somewhere, I knew I hadn't done as well in academics as my dad would have wanted me to.  When I learnt the lesson of not expecting anything from anyone, I also knew, I had to live upto every single expectation people I love had of me.   


So, it was tough for me; living up to people's expectations. If you notice, more often than not, people will always, ALWAYS remember the ONE thing you didn't do for them, (like here), and very conveniently forget the million things which you have actually done for them. And then there are usually two things that happen! Either the person judges you in a bad way for not living up to their expectations, or, you start going on this huge horrible guilt trip of your own. 


I used to have loads and loads of friends. Today I have a select few, and sometimes I'm glad about the select few coz' its them that matter; but why does it hurt, when I see my other friends, who were very good friends move away? Am I doing something wrong? Or is that normal? Do i push too hard to be friends with some people that I ignore others? [ i think NOT] 


Why am I finding it difficult to be happy, why does it have to hurt. Loads of introspection leads to me to think of it as - I do it to myself.  But the question is WHY??


And then there's also that, when you trust someone, and they don't stand by that.


One of my Favorite trust quote is:




WHEN YOU TRUST SOMEONE TRUST HIM COMPLETELY WITHOUT ANY DOUBT....... AT THE END YOU WOULD GET ONE OF THE TWO : EITHER A LESSON FOR YOUR LIFE OR A VERY GOOD PERSON!!! :) :D


Neat huh?? ;-) 

9 comments:

  1. Very well put up.. Loved reading this post :) Expectations hurt especially dur to the reason we have it only on closed ones and when they fail to meet it .. It really hurts.

    Loved the ending of the post it is either a lesson learnt or a lovely person in ur life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quote at the end! Oh, sweetie people let us down and unfortunatley we let people down, it happens but one thing you can't live your life trying to live up to other people's expectations of you. You have to do what is best for you while at the same time being the very best loving person you can be.
    It is hard thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love the quote! So True! Deeps, I could actually relate to EVERYTHING you've mentioned!!

    Love you sweetheart! Amazing work! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of the most b'ful blog anyone can ever write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quote.. I love your blog deepika !! :) Nice writings! And I totally agree when you trust someone.. trust them with no limits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. its a perspective life asks u to see..i'm glad thr are so many who think alike n so many who like ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soo true sweetheart. I am glad we had a relatively expectation free friendship and I hope we continue to keep it beautiful. I guess if you just live up to your own expectations you will far supersede what others expect out of you. Beautiful posts.

    ReplyDelete