Monday, February 13, 2012

The Japanese Wife

How far will you go for love?



I have no clue why I wanted to see this movie, but, as soon as I got my hands on my Bit Torrent, One of the first few movies I downloaded was The Japanese Wife.

I haven't read the book by Kunal Basu. All I knew about this movie was, it had Rahul Bose, Raima Sen and is directed by Aparna Sen. So, last night I sat to see The Japanese Wife!

A shy boy, Snehmoy(Rahul Bose), who later becomes an Arithmetic teacher, starts writing letters to a girl in Japan, Miyagi ( Chigusa Takaku). This girl is equally shy, and live with a ailing mother. Snehmoy lives with his maashi (Moushumi Chatterjee), after his parents' tragic death by the floods of the river Matla.

They start sharing small details of each other's lives through their many many letters. Miyagi sends pictures of herself, her pets, her house and sends a Poloroid Camera to Snehmoy, so that, he can do the same. From friends, their relationship blossoms to being bestfriends, and they do not see the necessity to socialize with local people as long as they have each other. Maashi, wanting to see her son happily settled, asks him to marry her god-daughter Sandhya(Raima Sen). When he mentions this to his beloved Miyagi, she proposes marriage even though they live in different parts of the world to make it sacred. Having his doubts initially, Snehmoy agrees to the marriage, and sends Miyagi Kumkum and Conch bangles, that denote a married Indian wife, and Miyagi sends a Silver ring inscribed with her name to him.


Years pass by, and neither visit each other, as they have responsibilities of their mother and maashi respectively.But the letters keep coming, filled with all the tiny details of each others daily life. Things start to change a little for Snehamoy, when his maashi's god daughter Sandhya, now a widow comes to live with them, with her 8 year old son, Poltu. Poltu, discovers Snehamoy's Kite collection, which was a gift from Miyage on their 15th Anniversary, and together, they decide to be a part of the Kite festival, where there develops a competition between the Indian Kites and the Japanese Kites.

This is a beautifully directed scene. The expressions on all the faces, the kites, the setting... everything about this scene is beautiful. Hats Off to Aparna Sen!!  



Then what happens is what I think everyone should see. It is such a well made movie. The emotions are so rich and overflowing on screen. To be able to love someone, and stay committed to that someone that too only in form of letters, and mere three phone calls over a period of five years of friendship and nearly seventeen years of marriage is commendable. As actors, all the characters are beautiful. The age and transition in each character is visible and well defined. How I wish I had seen this movie earlier. 

Can I apply any of this to my life? In a world of Skype, social networking and Sex and the City, to sustain a relationship as pure is a big challenge. Maybe that's why its a work of fiction, and not real life. 

If I had to rate this movie, I'd give it a 4 out of 5! 
That's how far I'd go, for The Japanese Wife! {Not, love!! ;) :P }

Oh, and before I forget, I updated my other home too!! :) HERE!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Rahul Bose <3

    This movie was very thought provoking. And honestly, I wouldn't go so far for love. Nobody would.

    The climax was totally unexpected and ended beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Deepika, this book is an excellent book and I had heard that the movie had turned out even better. Your review seems to compel me to view it!

    I have tagged you. Take it here:
    http://anucreations.blogspot.in/2012/03/tag-thon.html

    ReplyDelete